Saturday, May 24, 2008

Best Laid Plans. . .


The plan for a bike seemed so perfect: Ben would be in Australia for a month, so I could use his bike while he was away.  A thieving miscreant in London had other ideas. Ben's now bikeless, and I have 10 days to find one.


My options are three: borrow, buy or bring.


Ben's still a bit tender from the break-in, and had planned to spend his meagre savings living it up in Australia.  he's not really ready to buy another bike soon, so borrowing seems out.


The bring option would see me tackling the river on a 15 year old MTB.  It wouldn't be as fast or comfortable as it might, but could be made better with a pair of road tyres. The bike was decent in its day, so is pretty light, and the components are reliable. Lugging a bike box through airports and the london underground isn't optimal, but it's quite doable, particularly given that Simon will be at the Hethrow end to help out.  If Ben wants a budget bike on his return, this one might even fit the bill.


Buying in London is also an option. Always looking for something different, I've considered a couple of folding bikes. Regardless of what I buy, I'l give Ben the option to buy at a discount at the other end.


I've got about 2 days to decide.

No comments: